The Privacy Act 2020 requires us to tell you certain things about the personal information we need to carry out our functions. This is where we explain our privacy practices and why you can trust us to handle your personal information.
In this policy we explain what personal information we collect and how we use or share it. We also explain about the way we store and protect personal information and your rights to access and correct it.
In short, here are a few key privacy messages to note:
- We only collect personal information where this is necessary to carry out our functions.
- We store most of our data (including your personal information) on a secure Amazon Web Services cloud platform in the Sydney Region.
- We use reasonable technical and process controls to protect our data.
- We use some third party providers to manage some of our engagement and ordering processes including Buttondown and Stripe.
- You can ask us for a copy of your personal information at any time or request us to correct any personal information we hold about you.
- We will only use and share personal information where necessary to carry out the functions for which we collected it, or if required by law.
Personal information we collect
We collect personal information from you as necessary to carry out our functions including fulfilling orders, running our community platform, and engaging with you through newsletters and other communication activities (such as events or surveys).
To effectively carry out our functions we are required to collect and use some personal information. However, we only collect personal information you choose to provide to us, and you can opt out of our communication activities, such as receiving our newsletter, at any time.
The information we may collect when you engage with us include:
- Your name.
- Your contact details including your address, email address, or phone number.
- Any details required to fulfill an order placed through the website including your billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers, Paypal account details, or any details required for other payment methods), and any order specific information (such as the products purchased, quantities, and any notes).
- Any content you have published on our community platform (including ideas, discussion posts, and any other user-generated content).
We also collect the following information about your use of our website:
- Your IP address.
- The search terms you used.
- The pages you accessed on our website and the links you clicked on.
- The date and time you visited the site.
- The referring site (if any) through which you clicked to our website.
- Your operating system (such as Windows 10).
- The type of web browser you use (such as Google Chrome).
See our cookies policy for more information about the cookies we use on our website (for example to track and analyse website usage).
Third party providers
We use some third party providers to manage some of our engagement and ordering processes, such as newsletters and payment processing. Where we do this, any personal information you provide (such as your email address) may also be collected and stored by this provider and you should also check their privacy statements when using those services.
We use the following third party providers:
Links to social networking services
We use social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to communicate with the public about our work. When you communicate with us using these services, the social networking service may collect your personal information for its own purposes.
These services may track your use of our website on those pages where their links are displayed. If you are logged in to those services (including any Google service) while using our site, their tracking will be associated with your profile with them. See our cookies policy for more information.
These services have their own privacy statements which are independent of ours. They do not have any access to the personal information we hold on our systems.
How we use your personal information
We will only use the personal information you provide to us for the purposes of delivering the services you have engaged with (such as to fulfill an order placed through our website, publish a discussion post or idea on our community platform, or to subscribe to our newsletter).
We may use your personal information to:
- Contact you about any order you have placed through our website.
- Contact you about any user-generated content you have published on our community platform.
- Moderate the user-generated content on our community platform.
- Improve our website and the delivery of our online services.
- Contact you about any other request or enquiry you have made to us.
How we share your personal information
We do not generally share your personal information with third parties (other than third parties which are providing services to us). However, we may share your personal information if necessary to effectively respond to your enquiry, or if required by law.
Storage and retention
We use third party providers to store and process our data.
We store most of the personal information we collect and generate electronically on Amazon Web Services cloud servers located in the Sydney Region, Australia. We also use Google Workspace for our email and other office productivity applications. This means that the personal information we hold may be transferred to, or accessed from, countries other than New Zealand.
We take all reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect is protected against loss, unauthorised access and disclosure or any other misuse.
Your privacy rights
The Privacy Act gives you rights to request access to and correction of the personal information we hold about you. Please contact us to exercise any of these rights, including the right to complain about our privacy practices.
Opting out of certain uses of your information
You can opt out of receiving our newsletter or being included on any other subscription list or news feed by following the unsubscribe link at the end of the email or by contacting us.
You can opt out of our cookies when you use our website by following the steps set out in our cookies policy.
If you cannot find the information you need, or you have concerns about the way we are managing your personal information, then please contact us at any time.